The Promise of Umrah: An Inspirational Journey with my Mother - Connect - MuslimPro (2023)

by Nik Emir Din

I finally had the opportunity to fulfill my mother’s promise to accompany her to Umrah since my father is no longer fit to travel and make the journey with her.

We had been wishing and planning to make the journey since 2019, but we had to keep postponing our travel plans due to the pandemic. My mother would constantly remind me, “Keep praying and put your trust in Allah, and He will present the opportunity and the right time.”

“Once Allah has decided it is your time to visit His home, there will always be a way. And Alhamdulillah, everything fell into place.”

The Journey

I performed Umrah when I was very young, so I consider this the first time I was able to truly appreciate and soak in the experience.

This year Saudi Arabia finally opened up its borders. We were blessed to have had a chance to go for Umrah during Ramadan. We had little time before our travel date and had to rush to get our visas and paperwork in order. It was extremely challenging since I had recently moved to Singapore. I had to coordinate everything amidst juggling moving to a new country and managing work commitments.

We flew to Jeddah from Kuala Lumpur; it was roughly an 8.5-hour flight. Our hotel in Makkah was an hour away from Jeddah by car. After performing our Umrah in Makkah, we spent a few days in Medina and visited the Masjid Quba before flying back to Kuala Lumpur.

We were blessed to be able to offer the two rak’at prayer at Masjid Quba which comes with its own special rewards. The Prophetﷺ said: “Whoever purifies himself in his house, then comes to the Quba’ Mosque and offers one prayer therein, will have a reward like that for ‘Umrah.” [Sunan Ibn Majah 1412]

The Promise of Umrah: An Inspirational Journey with my Mother - Connect - MuslimPro (1)

Masjid Quba in Medina

The uncertainties caused by Covid, and the challenges I faced through the journey and back home cannot be compared to the bliss I felt because I was finally able to make the journey to Allah’s house. It was indeed, an eye-opening experience. I am certain this will not be my last visit to the holy land.

The Call of Allah

We spent the last 10 days of Ramadan in Makkah, in search of Laylatul Qadr. Staying close to the Masjid allowed us to go for all the prayers, including Taraweeh and Tahajjud.

The Promise of Umrah: An Inspirational Journey with my Mother - Connect - MuslimPro (2)

(Video) My Journey To Islam & A Very Touching Story ! Mohamed Hoblos

Taraweeh prayers at night on the roof of Masjid-al Haram.

Listening to the Adhan and making the trip each time, I witnessed the diversity in the Muslim community. There were people from all walks of life. Different ethnicities, nationalities, and cultures. Yet, all equal, moving together with one common purpose.

I have never experienced a crowd like this before. Makkah was full of life at all hours of the day and night. It really felt like the city never slept. With the sheer amount of public, it was a difficult task to get inside and reach the Kaaba floor. We were lucky to have a good Mutawwif* guiding us. Most of the Masjid gates were closed and the guards were strict. No one was allowed unless in ihram to perform Umrah. Even then, there was no guarantee you could get in as they tried to control the number of people going near Kaaba. It depended on the time and your luck!

*Mutawwifis a knowledgeable person who guides pilgrims during Hajj.

The Promise of Umrah: An Inspirational Journey with my Mother - Connect - MuslimPro (3)

View of the Kaaba during non-prayer time, Ramadan 2022.

Despite the anxiety and nervousness of trying to find a way in, the moment I stepped onto the white Kaaba floor and slowly gazed at the Kaaba, I felt calm. All the other feelings disappeared in a moment.

I was in awe. The magnificence and presence of the Kaaba. Of which I had seen pictures and heard experiences others had. It can never compare to being there in person. It felt surreal as I took the time to absorb this overwhelming emotion, the feeling of being truly blessed. The opportunity to visit the house of Allah SWT.

With Hardship Came Ease

I tested positive for Covid a day after I returned from Umrah. I was disheartened to sacrifice Eid celebrations. I was unable to spend precious moments with my family and loved ones.

My symptoms started when I woke up with a sore throat and increased temperature. A self-testing kit at home confirmed I had Covid. A few days later my symptoms worsened. I could barely eat or sleep. Sharp pain in my throat in the middle of the night forced me to rush to the ER. I was diagnosed with a superadded throat infection, a term for being infected with both the covid virus and bacterial infection. For a week, I was under heavy medication of pain killers and antibiotics to ease the throat pain. I started seeing improvement, and two weeks later, I had fully recovered.

Syukor Alhamdulillah, it was also a blessing that I did not have to endure the pain and discomfort during the Umrah trip. I am grateful that Allah SWT eased the journey for me. Reading about all the issues and catastrophes the world and other people are facing, I was thankful that I was only given this small test by Allah SWT. This experience has humbled me in many ways and is a great reminder to never take my health for granted.

The Promise of Umrah: An Inspirational Journey with my Mother - Connect - MuslimPro (4)

Outside the Clock Tower after completing my Umrah

Gratitude and Growth

It was a bittersweet moment for me as we boarded the plane bound for home. On one hand, I was sad to leave but also thankful that I had the opportunity to accompany my mother and experience Umrah during Ramadan.

I came back with an even greater appreciation of being part of the global Muslim community. I had the opportunity to break fast and connect with other Muslims from all walks of life at Masjid Al-Nabawi.

The Promise of Umrah: An Inspirational Journey with my Mother - Connect - MuslimPro (5)

(Video) SIGNS YOUR MOTHER IS TOXIC + what to do

Breaking fast at Masjid-Al-Nabawi

This trip has inspired me and motivated me to do more for our Muslim community and I hope to be able to continue doing this with my role at Bitsmedia and MuslimPro. Inshallah.

About the Author

Nik Emir Din hails from Malaysia and has been with Bitsmedia for the past 4 years. He recently moved over to Singapore and is currently the Co-CEO of Bitsmedia. As a digital and technology advocate, he strongly believes in and supports the use of digital technologies to help and empower different communities.

This Hajj Season visit Qalbox and explore 5 amazing Hajj documentaries and learn the Significance of the Holy journey.

Related

1. The Promise of Umrah: An Inspirational Journey with my Mother - Connect - MuslimPro (6)

Sakinah Ahamedon July 15, 2022 at 10:49 pm

This story was beautiful and inspirational to me because he went to Umrah with his mom, that’s a blessing in disguise. The other thing that touched me was that he was in awe when he saw the Kaaba. I too want to be in awe when I go to Umrah or Mecca Insha Allah accompanied by my husband or my son.
    In essence him and his mom achieved the alms they were in search for and that made them happy and it made me happy as well. I pray that one day I will get to have that same experience of being in Allah house where all the believers come from all walks of life . That feeling has to be one beautiful feeling unimaginable feeling that you cannot describe until you feel it.Ameen. Alhamdulillah

• The Promise of Umrah: An Inspirational Journey with my Mother - Connect - MuslimPro (7)

Farouq29on July 19, 2022 at 9:57 pm

Insha Allah! Ma’am

• The Promise of Umrah: An Inspirational Journey with my Mother - Connect - MuslimPro (8)

Margareton July 20, 2022 at 8:28 am

As salaamu alaikum may Allah accept they’re Ummrah and invite them again for Hajj Ameen 🤲🏾. Jazaakallahu khayran for sharing your experience 😊

2. The Promise of Umrah: An Inspirational Journey with my Mother - Connect - MuslimPro (9)

Sakinah Ahamedon July 15, 2022 at 11:36 pm

This story, is from a believer. He touched on all aspects of what the heart feels like when you visit umrah or Mecca. You really can’t describe it cause it’s unimaginable you just be in awe. This is beautiful. I’ve never been I’m just imagining. I’m so inspired by the story because he went with his mom to experience that feeling with all the other believers, from all walks of life. Allah is ((Ta-Allah) . Alhamdulillah.. Doing Umrah with your mom is a blessing in disguise. The other beautiful thing that touched my soul in this story was that he was in awe when he saw the Kaaba . There goes that unimaginable feeling again, Masha Allah.
    In essence, one day I pray that I too get to experience that unimaginable feeling and be in awe when I go to Umrah or Mecca with my husband or my son Insha Allah. Coming down with the COVID when he went home was just a test from Allah to see how much he truly appreciated his trip to Umrah and the feeling that Allah allowed him to endure. Alhamdulillah

3. The Promise of Umrah: An Inspirational Journey with my Mother - Connect - MuslimPro (11)

Nerissaon July 17, 2022 at 6:39 am

What a wonderful story. Love hearing of people’s heart filled moments when captivated by the pull of Allah’s love in these sacred places. Peace, love tranquility. What an inspiration. 💖

(Video) The Friday Forum: Reflections on Materialism & Gratitude | Shaykh Osamah
  4. The Promise of Umrah: An Inspirational Journey with my Mother - Connect - MuslimPro (12)

Najib osigbeme sanion July 19, 2022 at 9:25 pm

Praying that Allah grant you an infinite Mercy for you effort . ameen

5. The Promise of Umrah: An Inspirational Journey with my Mother - Connect - MuslimPro (13)

Suleiman Mohammed Jamiuon July 19, 2022 at 9:52 pm

Ya Allah called me, my daddy and lovely once to your House Bijahi Rasuulillahi Sallallahu Allaehi Wasallam.

What a lovely country I wish to live, Ya Allah make it easy and send you help to locate me and take me to your House Bijahi Rasuulillahi Sallallahu Allaehi Wasallam

6. The Promise of Umrah: An Inspirational Journey with my Mother - Connect - MuslimPro (14)

Rimlaon July 19, 2022 at 11:18 pm

I wish I want to go and perform Hajj with my father but I have no opportunity and I belong from a poor family but I believe that Allah calls us on day InshAllah

7. The Promise of Umrah: An Inspirational Journey with my Mother - Connect - MuslimPro (15)

Libanon July 20, 2022 at 9:51 am

Qabl

8. The Promise of Umrah: An Inspirational Journey with my Mother - Connect - MuslimPro (16)

Hani Sobhi alshaikhon July 20, 2022 at 11:19 am

Inshallah we go too very soon , I’m so jealous

(Video) Audiobook: Destiny Disrupted_ A History of the World Through Islamic Eyes | Part 2 | A Detailed View

Submit a Comment

FAQs

What is Umrah journey? ›

Umrah is the name given to a pilgrimage to Mecca, a shorter version of the annual Hajj gathering. The word “Umrah” in Arabic means “visiting a populated place”. Umrah offers an opportunity for Muslims to refresh their faith, seek forgiveness and pray for their needs.

What is Umrah in simple words? ›

Essentially, the Umrah means 'a visit' to the Holy Kaaba (the Sacred House of God) in Arabic and can be performed by anyone, anytime of the year; unlike Hajj, which is an obligatory pilgrimage to Makkah, performed every year within the first 10 days of the Islamic month of Dhul Hijjah.

What is the importance of Umrah? ›

The main purpose of Umrah is to clean the soul of past sins. A Muslim can perform Umrah more than once in a lifetime. Umrah is also seen as protection from poverty and the burdens of life, as a pilgrim is spending their wealth and time in the way of Allah.

What do you need for Umrah? ›

These include:
  • Passport (and its photocopies)
  • Flight tickets.
  • Identity Proofs (and its photocopies)
  • Certificates of vaccinations done.
  • Hotel booking vouchers.
  • Transport vouchers.
  • Receipts of payments made for Hajj/Umrah.
  • Relationship certificate if travelling with a companion.

What is the DUA for Umrah? ›

When you enter Masjid Al-haraam to perform Umrah or Hajj, place your right foot first and recite the following dua: Bismillahi wal hamdulillahi wassaulatu a'laa rausulillah, Allauhummaghfirlee zunoobee waf tahlee abwaaba rauhmatik.

How many types of Umrah are there? ›

Umrah is of two types: Umrah-ul-Mufradah. Umrah-al-Tammatu.

Can a mother and daughter perform Umrah? ›

Answer: In the situation mentioned in the question, the lady is allowed to travel along with her nephew but her daughter is not allowed to travel. Being along with the mother will make no difference. It is necessary for the girl to travel along with her own Mahram.

How do you Umrah for parents? ›

A. 1. If you wish to do the Umrah on behalf of your parents and two sisters, you have to perform it four times, making each for one of them. It is not possible to do it for more than one person at a time.

What happens when you perform Umrah? ›

Umrah requires Muslims to perform two key rituals, Tawaf and Sa'i. Tawaf is a circling round the Kaaba. For men, it is recommended to do the first three circuits in a hurried pace, followed by four rounds of a more leisurely pace.

What are the social benefits of Umrah? ›

Social benefits

Every year millions of Muslims gather in Makkah to perform umrah. People from all over the world come and gather in this one place that is in front of the Kaba. This gathering increases the unity and tolerance among all Muslims to remind them that they are all brothers.

What do you do during Umrah? ›

Firstly, you get changed into the Ihram garments before the Miqat, perform two Rakahs of Salah and make your Niyyah as the Miqat approaches, thereafter reciting the Talbiyah frequently. Secondly, you perform Tawaf al-Umrah of the Kaaba followed by two Rakahs of Salah, preferably near Maqam Ibrahim.

Can you do Umrah by yourself? ›

A: The Umrah ritual in itself is a very simple and straightforward process so don't feel daunted! Planning for a DIY Umrah is exactly like planning for a holiday—book a flight, hotels (of your own choice and budget) and transport. ?

Can you do Umrah alone? ›

Saudi Arabia allows women to perform Umrah without male guardians. Dubai: Saudi Arabia will allow women aged 18 to 65 to perform the Umrah pilgrimage without a male guardian, known as a “mahram,” on the condition that they are part of a group, local media reported.

What Colour do you wear for Umrah? ›

They may wear any color as long as all parts of the body – except for the hands and face – are covered by cloth. However, many women in Ihram wear black or white abayas and hijabs. After performing all the rites of Hajj or Umrah, men should shave their head (taqseer).

What does a woman wear for Umrah? ›

The majority of the women in Ihram wear white or black Hijabs and Abayas. Women's Umrah clothing can include shoes and other types of closed footwear. Women are also allowed to wear socks in the state of Ihram.

What should a woman take to Umrah? ›

Two or three pairs of comfortable shoes, a waist pouch, bathroom slippers, string bag, light jumper, sunglasses, safety pins, prayer hat, and folding umbrella are some vital Umrah needs for both men and women.

What do you say in Umrah intention? ›

O Allah, I intend to perform Umrah. Allahumma Innee Ureedul Umrata fa-Yassirhaa lee wa Taqabbal-haa Minnee. O Allah, I intend to perform Umrah, so accept it from me and make it easy for me.

What is the Dua for parents? ›

رَبِّ ارْحَمْهُمَا كَمَا رَبَّيَانِي صَغِيرًا. My Lord, have mercy upon them [my parents] as they brought me up [when I was] small. Rabbirhamhuma kama rabbayani ṣaghira.

How many times Umrah Holy Prophet? ›

Throughout his life, Prophet (PBUH) performed Hajj once and Umrah four times. Each pilgrimage carried an important lesson and played a significant role in moulding the religion of Islam for generations to come.

How many hours is Umrah? ›

So, Umrah can be performed in near 4 hours of duration if there are fewer people performing obligations there. After completion of Umrah, Muslims usually visit Madinah and perform Nafil prayers there.

How long is Umrah? ›

Can I trim my hair after Umrah? ›

Importance of Umrah Haircut

Pilgrims must do either Halq or Taqsir to exit Ihram according to Umrah process. Women must cut their hair to the length of a fingertip to remove Ihram.

Why do we cut hair after Umrah? ›

However, to shave is much better. God says in the Qur'an: “you shall enter the Sacred Mosque, if God so wills, in full security, with your heads shaved or your hair cut short, without fear.” (48: 27) This applies to the time when the Prophet (peace be upon him) did his Umrah with a very large number of his companions.

Should we bath after Umrah? ›

The Umrah. If a pilgrim wishes to be ritually pure for Umrah, he should shed his clothing and bathe as he would after sexual defilement, if convenient. He should perfume his head and beard with the best oil he can find. There is no harm in what remains of it after Ihram.

What Islam teaches about mother? ›

In the holy scripture of the Muslims, called the Quran, God says, “We have commanded people to be good to their parents: their mothers carried them, with strain upon strain, and it takes two years to wean them. Give thanks to Me and to your parents — all will return to Me” (31:14).

Can you do Umrah if you are pregnant? ›

Women who are Pregnant Can Perform Umrah. It is halal to perform Umrah while being pregnant as she is in the Pure State and of course there is no reason why pregnant women can't perform Umrah.

How do Muslims respect their parents? ›

In Quran Allah has commanded us multiple times to be kind towards our parents and Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) reportedly instructed his companions to take good care of their parents. We should talk to them gently, make time for them, take care of their needs, and pray for them.

What is Umrah in Islam for kids? ›

Teach Children About the Purpose of Umrah

It is an optional pilgrimage that can be performed at any time of the year, unlike Hajj which must take place during the Islamic month of Dhu al-Hijjah. Umrah is seen as a way for Muslims to cleanse their souls and increase their faith.

What age can you go Umrah? ›

According to authorities, the pilgrim, within the kingdom, must be between the Age Of 18 And 70. The age restrictions for the Umrah pilgrims outside the kingdom must be between the Age Of 18 And 6 5.

Can a 70 year old do Umrah? ›

Saudi Arabia Hajj and Umrah Regulations

The KSA MoH have advised the following people are exempt from Hajj and Umrah religious duties: those who are over 65 years.

Who started Umrah? ›

The first pilgrimage or Umrah of Dhu'l-Qada (Pilgrimage of the 11th month) was the first pilgrimage that the Islamic prophet Muhammad and the Muslims made after the Migration to Medina. It took place on the morning of the fourth day of Dhu al-Qi'dah 7 AH (629 CE), after the Treaty of Hudaybiyyah 6 AH (628 CE).

Why is Saudi important to Muslims? ›

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is the heartland of Islam, the birthplace of its history, the site of the two holy mosques and the focus of Islamic devotion and prayer. Saudi Arabia is committed to preserving the Islamic tradition in all areas of government and society.

What is the benefit of doing Umrah during Ramadan? ›

The Umrah that is performed in Ramadan has a special merit over that which is performed in any other month. There are narrations encouraging Muslims to perform it in this month (Ramadan), showing its merit and reward and clarifying that it incurs a reward equal to that of performing Hajj.

Which is more important Umrah or Hajj? ›

While Umrah and Hajj are both spiritual pilgrimages to Makkah with similar rituals, there are key differences. Umrah is a quick, non-compulsory pilgrimage to receive blessings at any time of the year. Hajj is an obligatory, extended pilgrimage with more rituals that all Muslims are expected to undertake at least once.

Who goes for Umrah? ›

Saudi nationals, expatriate residents, and foreign pilgrims have been able to perform Umrah following last year's successful Hajj season. But what of Umrah 2022?

What is Umrah and how is it done? ›

How long does Umrah take to complete? ›

Each Umrah Package is designed keeping in view the utmost hospitality and comfort of the pilgrims. The minimum Umrah duration is for 7 days and maximum for 30 days. So it all depends on you for how long you want your Umrah Trip.

Who can go for Umrah? ›

According to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, new rules apply for international pilgrims who want to perform Umrah in 2022: Pilgrims who are not vaccinated against Covid-19 can perform Umrah if they can prove they were not infected with the virus or have not been in contact with an infected person.

What do you feel after Umrah? ›

Performing the minor pilgrimage of Umrah, brings blessings and spiritual satisfaction. It is considered to be the most peaceful walk towards Jannah (heaven). Even though the Umrah journey is not easy, maintaining purity and piety in everyday life after Umrah requires a lot of discipline and dedication.

How do you write an Umrah intention? ›

O Allah, here I am to perform Umrah. O Allah, I intend to perform Umrah. O Allah, I intend to perform Umrah, so accept it from me and make it easy for me.” Next, men going for Umrah must recite Talbiyah out loud, while women should utter it in a low voice.

How many times can I do Umrah? ›

Yes, it is perfectly permissible for anyone who comes to Makkah for the Umrah to perform more than one Umrah on the same journey. However, he must start his second Umrah from a point outside the Haram area.

What is maximum Umrah age? ›

In order to Perform Umrah, there is No Such Umrah age restrictions or we can say that there is No Specific Age in which you have to perform Umrah. If you are Financially Capable and Physically Able to perform Umrah you can perform Umrah at any time At Any Age.

How much is Umrah? ›

Umrah packages 2022 price from India

The Umrah packages are for 15 days 14/13 nights, ranging from INR 98000 to INR 108000. All packages include the Umrah visa, airfares, accommodation, 3 meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner), and transportation.

Where is Umrah done? ›

Umrah is an Islamic pilgrimage to Mecca that can be made year-round. Mu'tamars, or pilgrims, travel to Islam's holiest sites in Saudi Arabia from around the world to perform religious rites.

Can you do Umrah while pregnant? ›

Can a single person perform Umrah? ›

Umrah for Ladies without Mahram

It is for the safety and comfort of a woman in Islam that she must perform the pilgrimage with her husband or a relative accompanying her.

Can we do Umrah for living person? ›

You can only perform Umrah on behalf of someone else if they are deceased, unwell, or physically unable to perform the pilgrimage. Hajj and Umrah are religious duties that must be performed at least once in an able person's lifetime (granted that they are physically and financially stable).

Videos

1. While Writing Anti-Islam Book He Became Muslim! - The Story of Joram Van Klaveren
(Towards Eternity)
2. Khutbah: Lessons From Sh Muhammad Alshareef
(Ibrahim Hindy)
3. Your Mom's House Podcast w/ Andrew Tate - Ep.636
(YMH Studios)
4. THE MESSAGE | FULL MOVIE | ENGLISH | Depiction of a few events after Mohammed ﷺ claimed prophethood.
(THE WAYFARER)
5. WHAT DEAD PEOPLE DOING RIGHT NOW In Al barzakh
(The iSLAM TV)
6. Christian Mom HEATED at Son CONVERTING TO ISLAM with ANDREW TATE?
(The3Muslims)